Speech and Language Services
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE SERVICES
Our ASHA certified Speech-Language Pathologists provide direct and indirect speech, language, and communication services based upon evaluations and the individual needs of the student. In addition, our Speech-Language Pathologists also provide on-going consultative services to staff regarding communication methodology and strategies needed by students for effective instruction.
TSD Speech-Language Pathologists provide services for students using a variety of communication modes and strategies including ASL, spoken English, written English, augmentative communication, and picture communication support.
- A wide variety of services, tailored to our individual students’ needs, are provided by our Speech-Language Pathologists. Services may include:
- Services to students with varying needs including those who are hard of hearing, deaf, cochlear implant users, and those with additional disabilities.
- Collaborating with other service providers concerning student needs, including audiologists, counselors, occupational therapists, physical therapist, etc.
- Language expansion—both receptive/expressive language building
- Auditory Training—detection, discrimination, identification, and comprehension
- Articulation/Pronunciation Training
- Phonological Awareness
- Speechreading Skill Training, including oral/motor skills
- Pragmatic Language Training (e.g. establishing eye contact, turn taking, maintaining a topic of conversation)
- Communication Strategies to prevent or repair communication breakdowns
- Augmentative Communication Training
- Fostering a link between spoken English and literacy
- Strategies and support for communicating with non-signers at work and in the community
- Feeding/Swallowing services
- Supporting the use of integrated technology and augmentative communication in the classroom and community