ASL Video: https://youtu.be/fb_c6Zfejz8
July 27, 2022
Dear TSD Parents, Guardians and Caregivers,
I hope you are enjoying the remaining days of summer and ready to begin a new school year. I wanted to share some important safety updates with you. Although we cannot erase what happened in Uvalde we can work together to ensure that our school is as safe as possible.
On June 30, 2022, in coordination with the Texas School Safety Center (TxSSC), the Texas Education Agency (TEA) released the Required School Safety Action Steps This Summer that outlines immediate steps that schools are required to take to support the safety and security of our campuses.
Under authority of Texas Education Code, §37.207, schools are required to respond to a survey issued by TxSSC to certify a list of items that have been completed by September 1, 2022. Some of the items that we are required to do include:
- A campus audit of all doors to ensure properly working locks; TSD has completed this process.
- Ensure that all of our Threat Assessment Teams have received the required training from the TxSSC; in progress.
- Review our current Emergency Operations Plan and Active Shooter Plan Annex; in progress.
- We have to document our exterior door sweeps weekly; in process.
- The TxSSC, in conjunction with TEA and Region 13, will be conducting intruder detection programs to determine how secure our campus is; beginning mid-September.
- We have to submit an annual schedule of all required drills; complete.
TSD has also taken the initiative to make the following safety improvements in collaboration with the Texas Facilities Commission:
- Widened the South Congress entry and procured a new Security Booth and electronic gate; final project will be completed in November.
- Installed new iron fencing around the perimeter of the campus; 75% complete.
- Setting up a new Security Camera surveillance system at the Operations Building; in progress.
- Updating our ALERTUS Emergency Notification system to function more effectively; in progress.
- Hired a School-Based Mental Health and Wellness Coordinator for TSD; completed.
- Conducted CRASE (Civilian Response to Active Shooter Event) training for all TSD staff; scheduled for August 8.
This year our theme is Celebrate Your Superpowers! Our skilled and devoted staff are excited to usher in a new year of learning, numerous experiences to grow and great achievements. We look forward to celebrating the unique, special and wonderful superpowers that each of your students possess while promoting high-level of student learning.