IS VIRTUAL/ONLINE LEARNING BACK?
1. No, not really. Senate Bill 15 allows districts in Texas to pursue remote learning with attendance funding, but only for 10% of the student population.
2. Last year this was parental choice. Not this year, it is a school district’s choice.
3. The bill does not permit a teacher to do both “in person” and “online” teaching.
4. There are some other academic and attendance requirements to be eligible.
WILL TSD OFFER VIRTUAL LEARNING?
1. No, TSD will not offer virtual learning.
2. We would never want to choose 10% of our students and families to have this option.
3. We have also learned that online learning has resulted in significant learning loss and is not beneficial to the majority of our students and finally,
4. We do not have sufficient qualified staff to offer both online and in person learning.
WHAT ABOUT STUDENTS WHO ARE IMMUNE COMPROMISED OR ARE MEDICALLY FRAGILE?
TSD is prepared to serve students with medical and health needs. However, if parents do not feel comfortable with this TSD will provide resources including connecting the family to homebound services in their local school district.
NEW PUBLIC HEALTH GUIDELINES
A 10-day quarantine is mandatory for any positive confirmed staff or student. Quarantine or isolation is optional for close-contacts with the exception of those close contacts that are within the same household.In that case, the quarantine is also mandatory. This is a recent change in the guidelines.
One more change relates to close contacts returning to school or work. The previous guidance suggested COVID testing every other day.That has now been changed to periodically.
You are probably aware that school districts across the state are hosting vaccine clinics on a regular basis. TSD would like to do the same thing. We are currently seeking a community provider that can offer these clinics on our campus monthly.
I strongly encourage all of you with students ages 12 and above to consider giving permission for your student to be vaccinated. For those of you that have already had your children vaccinated— Thank You.
We are being told every day by our medical experts that vaccines are the best way to protect yourself, your family and our TSD community from COVID-19 and the Delta variant.
WE APPRECIATE YOU AND WE NEED YOUR HELP TO KEEP TSD SAFE SO OUR STUDENTS CAN LEARN AND PROSPER HERE.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT OUR HEALTH CENTER, YOUR FAMILY PHYSICIAN OR ANY TRUSTED MEDICAL RESOURCE.